Thursday 20 January 2011

Power to the Reader

I'm simply passing through today, having just got in following an extremely hair-raising and foggy drive through the Warwickshire countryside.  However, I thought I would share this with you.  We discovered last night at Bookworms that if you order Nikita Lalwani's book 'Gifted' (last night's read) from the UK branch of Amazon they automatically ask you if you want to order a copy of 'Daniel Deronda', which is next month's book.

Now how is that for the power of one small reading group to change the thinking of a multi-national company?  More power to the little reader's elbow, that's what I say!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Annie,
    Thanks for visiting my site, earlier. The power of the first few lines of a book can certainly be palpable and set the scene for what is to follow. However, I don't like either them, or the synopsis of a book to give too much away, but all too often, I feel that it does happen.

    I read your latest diary entry and whilst I agree that it may be beneficial to have Amazon remind you of the next book that you need to order, do you not feel that it is all a little 'big brotherish', almost inferring that we, as individuals, have lost the power of self thought?

    Nice to 'meet' you.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. And nice to 'meet' you too, Yvonne. What I really hate are those opening line that run something like:

    If I had known what the outcome of travelling to x was going to be I would never have set out.

    The suspense is ruined from the start.

    And, I always ignore what Amazon suggest for me, mainly because they seem to have the most peculiar ideas as to what I might like. Either I'm to eclectic a reader to predict for or they're trying to sell books that aren't shifting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or, they reflect some other bookgroup's reading schedule! I've seen my online bookgroup's selections appear this way on Amazon.

    I suppose it is a bit big-brother-ish Yvonne - in this case though it's pretty harmless but it does suggest what technology is capable of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WG the growth of technology and its ability to peer into our lives never fails to astound me. There was a report on the radio the the day that said by the time they are five at least 50% of children will have a digital footprint of one sort or another. Given the way parents put up photos even of pre-birth scans these days I'm surprised it's not higher.

    ReplyDelete